9.05.2005

Holy crap! I'm in Africa

I'm here! I made it and I am already an African at heart. The flight(s) over were unbearably long - we left Friday morning and got in Sunday morning- but okay considering the length. British Airways is officially the best airline on the planet. Our meals were delicious (we got a beautiful and tasty tirimasu for dessert!! That's no Andes mint!) and on the way to London we got video games for free! The seats were all tricked out so they were more like recliners and we had about 10 movies to choose from. I mostly slept, or tried to. We got into London about 10:30 and had to leave again at 7:30 so we took the "Tube" into town and walked around. London is spectacular. I can't wait to go back and visit in December.

More importantly: AFRICA

We flew past Kilimanjaro at sunrise, probably the most beautiful one I've ever seen. I have pictures of all this, but I don't have my camera with me. I'll upload them later. I started giggling when I got off the plane because guess what? EVERYONE HERE IS BLACK!!!

Today we got oriented to our job which is teaching Nursery School in the morning and adults in the afternoon. The school is actually quite nice. More on that once I've actually started.

THe people I live with are great. They all have the cutest accents and they keep translating English terms for us because we've never heard of them (Did you knoww they call cookies biscuits and the Subway the Tube?) I'm sure I'll be talking like one soon enough (I can only hope)

I'm working on taking lots of pictures so hopefully I can update this often - at least once a week. I miss you (talking to my family here, if anyone else is reading this chances are I don't miss you) very much but don't worry, this is the best thing I ever could be doing and it is exactly where I need to be right now. Thank you for your support.


I LOVE IT HERE!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KamBam: It sounds like Africa is everything you hoped it would be.
I sent you a brief update of the John/Shelley wedding in Orlando. It was a fun time. We missed you.
Tell us more about Tanga.
Your DAD

Anonymous said...

i am so happy to hear from you!!
I am excited for your new adventure. i have sent you some fun pictures of us in orlando at walt disney world. we miss you!!!
mom