8.02.2012

Flavor stealers.


I don't know how anyone makes anything out of mayonnaise that doesn't just taste like mayonnaise with whatever else is combined.  Same thing with cream cheese.  Cream cheese frosting is really just cream cheese with powdered sugar flavoring.  I made (attempted) a cheesecake once on my mission, from the recipe right off the Toblerone bar.  Cream cheese Toblerone.  Banana has a similar condition, but it's usually welcome and recipes don't usually try to hide its distinct flavor.  Bacon, too. 

Tonight it was chipotle sauce.  Recipe says 1/2 cup mayo, 2 chipotles and however much adobo sauce you want.  I couldn't have had more than 2 tablespoons of mayo, I added 4 chipotles (seeds included, for good measure), plus adobo sauce, a little lime and some very melted butter (bad idea for consistency, turns out) and still it tasted like chipotle-flavored mayonnaise.  Very spicy chipotle-flavored mayonnaise.  A little bit curdled-looking chipotle-flavored mayonnaise. 

Still ate it on my grilled corn and summer squash.  But that's beside the point.

No comments: