1.20.2011

Portlandia

Go Portland, being ironic enough to merit its very own new show from an SNL alum.

"Portland is a city where young people go to retire" Let' meet this winners:


Pretty sure this show is gonna be great.

Oddly enough, growing up just 3 hours north of this soon-to-be iconic city, I didn't ever spend much time there. But fate intervened by staging a food processors conference there last week (nothing says a hoot like food processors, right?). I met up with a friend from Seattle, a good friend of an ex-boyfriend, who, in an odd turn of events, was temporary roommates with a good friend of the subsequent ex-boyfriend, and stayed at my sister-in-law's grandparent's house, who, in an and even more odd turn of events, live in the same neighborhood as the next ex-boyfriend after that. Go figure. This is my life. Rest assured, no ex-boyfriends were contacted during the trip.

I spent the weekend prior to the conference trouncing around downtown, poring over Powell's extensive collection, and eating well beyond my heart's (and stomach's) content. In fact, since the only thing I keep really coming back to when people ask about the city is the food, I figure I might as well immortalize each dish.

Habibi (Lebanese) - Artichoke Heart and Pork Shwarma casserole, with pita. Seriously drool-worthy, every bite.
Henry's Tavern - Okay, no food here, but good, cheap pool, and lots of men.
Street carts (Thai) - khaw khaa muu - life changing. Took me back to Thailand. Worth a three hour trip just to get back to this tender pork, sweet hard-boiled egg, and pickled something. DREAM COME TRUE.
Fire on the Mountain (hot wings) - They've got 16 different sauces. And tots to die for. Deeeelissh.
Voodoo doughnut - A Portland visit is apparently incomplete without it. I skipped maple bar n bacon and some of the more creatively named donuts for a butterfinger-topped ring. Yum.
Southpark Wine Bar - I don't think I'll ever be able to eat crab cakes again. Nothing will ever compete.
3 Doors Down Cafe - homemade pasta in a shape I've never seen before. Fancy schmancy and worth the price in cash and tummy damage (pasta and I don't usually agree).

I wish I got pictures of each dish. Seriously. Maybe I've got a foodie deep down that's just screaming to get out.

Portland, oh Portland, you know I'll be back.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

you should "be back" in portland this summer...when i'm there...

Brooke Henderson said...

Bah, watch the chicken clip on hulu...so funny